Orchid Observers Talk

Photos from other years?

• MiaG by MiaG

I was browsing my digital photo archive and came across a picture of a lovely bee orchid (and also a common spotted) I had taken in July in 2010 on Anglesey. I suppose I should try to visit there again within the next month or two.

Posted

• LucyRobinsonNHM by LucyRobinsonNHM scientist

Hi miapearl,

You can upload photos from previous years using the Upload facility - just be sure to enter the date and location correctly. All data on flowering times is really useful for our research and we'll be passing the records on to national databases afterwards so your records will be available for wider research use.

It would be fantastic if you're able to re-visit the site this year and take some more pictures too. The more photos we have, the better!

Thanks for taking part,

Lucy

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

Found the orchids today, so I shall be bombarding the site with lots of bee orchids and a a purple thing (colour of that doesn't turn out perfect). There were quite a few. I was getting disheartened when I couldn't find anything other than butterflies, then we came across the purple thing and within 10-20 metres of that, some not-yet-in bud orchids (do you want them too?) and then a few minutes later, bee orchids in flower. Do you want multiple photos of the same orchid (I could name the files beeorchid1a, beeorchid1b... beeorchid2a... )?

As for the photo in 2010, can't find the original file. Also, I had the date wrong on that - 20th June (because I found a geocache then). Then, I also saw loads of cinnabar moths, but none this visit (7th June). The 2010 flower also seemed bigger than today's lot.

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hi miapearl - thank you, that's great news about the flowering bee orchids and we would love to have your photos! Just one image of each orchid is fine, or up to 4 images of different orchids from the same location. If there are several bee orchids flowering in one spot it might be nice to capture an image of the group. Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

Uploaded. Seems some of the other photos (not uploaded) are a little bit out of focus (but most of the pictures of butterflies I took were!!). There were at least 5 bee orchids in flower at that location, one in bud, and at least 2 just slow.

Posted