Orchid Observers Talk

Greater butterfly orchids

• MiaG by MiaG

The odd one or two have a flower out in Caeau Tan Y Bwlch (I'm assuming North Wales Wildlife Trust / Plantlife notice board at this reserve is correct). A few just in bud. Also various spotted orchids and purple ones. Uploaded a bunch today.

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hi miapearl - thanks for this information, I look forward to seeing your uploaded photos of the butterfly orchids from this site

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

by the way, Plantlife have carried out an orchid count.... If we go back there, how many of the 4786 orchids (I guess would not just be the flutterby orchids, but also include the spotty/purple ones too) on that nature reserve do you want photographed!?

Posted

Hi Miapearl – Caeau Tan Y Bwlch sounds like a wonderful site for orchids. For this research project we would be interested in 1 or 2 records for each species from each site – a site being, say, 2 or 3 adjacent meadows in a single valley. For larger populations of many plants covering a particular area, then records from across the geographic spread would also be interesting data. I look forward to seeing your photographs!

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

I haven't been back there yet. It might be worth you contacting Plantlife for next year as they do an annual count..

North Wales Wildlife Trust

Plantlife

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

I haven't checked this meadow this year. Plantlife were due to do an orchid count of this last month - maybe they have taken some photos and would be willing to share with you. Will need to watch last night's Countryfile on iPlayer soon - I wonder if there were any orchids in it being discussed by Plantlife's Dr. Trevor Dines.

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

Facebook reminded me of a link I posted 5 years ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-14230626

selected quotes:

'Warm spring' brings more orchids to Caeau Tan y Bwlch

Conservation charity Plantlife Cymru counted just under 3,500 butterfly-orchids at Caeau Tan y Bwlch.
    The final total was 3,495, more than double the 1,439 orchids in 2010.

Orchid numbers at the reserve have been increasing steadily with 335 in 2008, 953 in 2009 and 1,439 in 2010.

Posted

Hi MiaG - thanks for the link and interesting info on orchid numbers at this site!

Posted