Orchid Observers Talk

Suggestion for improvement

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

For novices like me, it would be helpful to have more guidance on how to estimate flowering stage on these dry pressed specimens.

Posted

• hotfungus by hotfungus scientist

Hi, this one is indeed a rather tricky task. It's fair to say that many orchid species do not make the nicest of herbarium specimens, they tend to dry a horrible brown/black colour and the flower spikes of the more densely-flowered species can be very tricky to interpret. With the species that are more loosely flowered you can easily see individual flowers and you can make an estimate of proportion flowers that are open or closed. Frankly, this takes practice and you'll need to spend a little time using the zoom tool to examine the flower spikes. if you're not sure - select 'I don't know', that is an entirely legitimate answer. Also, try looking at images of living specimens of the same species on the internet, that may help you interpret them. I hope that helps!

Posted

• HelenBennett57 by HelenBennett57

A couple of UI requests...

• Please can the 'magnifying glass' be bigger, as right now you have to be careful not to obscure what you're looking at... and
    • Can "Discuss/yes" open in a new window, so you don't lose the transcribing interface
    • Click and drag for images would be really helpful

And a couple of nice-to-haves... (if you don't ask 😉 )

• Something in the UI that shows your progress within a single specimen
    • A count of specimens checked

Thanks!

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hello HelenBennett57, many thanks for your suggestions - we have made the magnify tools bigger so this should help in reading the barcode number etc. We are currently addressing other UI other issues you have raised. Hope this helps!

Posted

• ezzjcw by ezzjcw

Thoughts on a magnifying glass for the example photo for each species?

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hi ezzjcw - thank you for your suggestion; I think we may have space limitations for tools on some of the UI pages, but I will pass this on to the technical team to see if this may be feasible.

Posted