Orchid Observers Talk

Ideal camera for flowers?

• StephenLoWatson by StephenLoWatson

I love photographing orchids and other flowers, insects too, but it's infuriating how often my Fuji 2500 bridge camera all too often focuses on the background instead of the subject - even in macro mode and even when the focus marker is squarely on the subject. My wife's pocket Canon A1300 tends to do exactly the same. Any recommendations for ideal cameras for nature close-ups?

Posted

• Rich_Mielcarek by Rich_Mielcarek

Depends on how much you want to spend.
    My Sony bridge (DSC - NX300) has both auto and manual focus and cost c£250 new.
    Alternatively buy a second hand SLR body and a second hand macro lens. I got a Canon EOS 550D for £200 and a Sigma EX 105mm macro for about the same.
    Mind you my old Samsung NV3 has an amazing super macro facility.

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Rich has made some good suggestions. For this project, the main criterion is that the flowers are in focus and I have found that an iPhone camera does the job pretty well. Having said that, trying to focus on a fly orchid flower or flowering spike can be challenging!

Posted

• MiaG by MiaG

I have a bridge camera. However, I took lots of photos yesterday but many of the the flutterbies turned out better than most of the orchid shots.

Posted

• StephenLoWatson by StephenLoWatson

Thanks for those suggestions!

Posted

• Syntrichia by Syntrichia

The best camera is the one you have with you at the time! I have a Canon 60D and 100mm macro lens; the large Gorillapod is invaluable for Epipactis and the like, where you need to shoot from the ground up to get the detail of the flower. I still use a pocket camera a lot because you can take them everywhere. If I were only allowed one camera it'd be a high-end compact.

Posted

• MikeWallerNHM by MikeWallerNHM scientist

Essentially you want to buy a camera with a manual focus function. Trying to convince a camera to focus on something that is barely a few millimetres wide is often impossible and so you need to be able to change that manually to get things in focus. From that point onwards, it's entirely up to you how deep you think your wallet is!

Posted