Orchid Observers Talk

Hello there - lots of Early Purples about

• StephenLoWatson by StephenLoWatson

I'm Stephen Lowe Watson of Lewes in Sussex, and I've uploaded some pictures of Early Purple Orchids in local woodlands. They are in full bloom right now on the chalk woods between Ofham and Mount Harry. Quick question: is there any way on this website to see what I've uploaded, or other people's contributions?

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hi Stephen, many thanks for uploading your images of Early Purple - you can see other peoples uploaded images, and help to identify them, on the 'Identify' tab. New images, including yours, are assigned to this page in batches, so yours should appear here soon!

Posted

• juliac2 by juliac2

Hello! Just stumbled across this project. I'm a keen orchid spotter - tracking examples in Kent and Gloucestershire. Just went to add some photos taken over the last couple of weekends - but noticed you only have a selection of species listed. I added early purple and fly, but no drop down for lady or early spider. A reason behind this? (just had quick check on discussions, can't find intro to project - so please let me know if I'm missing something.
    Also, I'm always careful when adding my photos to flickr ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliac2006/sets/72157633511182237 and https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliac2006/sets/72157644322347837 ) not to add detailed tags (even to really common ones, as people could play detective and work out where the rare ones are) Is the specific location data here secure?

Posted

• kathcas79 by kathcas79 scientist

Hello juliac2, welcome to Orchid Observers and thank you for uploading your photos and records for early purple and fly! Of the 56 native species in the UK, we have selected 29 species for our research. The list does not include the lady orchid or any of the rare or specially protected species such as the early spider. For our research, we need to collect flowering times, date and location data this spring and summer to add to our historical dataset for these same 29 species (participants can also have a go at transcribing our herbarium specimens). For more information on the project and our research, please visit the 'science' page. Our species list can be found on the 'upload' page - follow the link to 'resources' where you will find a downloadable Orchid Observers ID guide and instruction sheet. Thanks again for your participation!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Welcome both @StephenLoWatson and @juliac2 to the project! Thanks for your contributions already! 😃

Posted

• StephenLoWatson by StephenLoWatson

Have been enjoying pyramidal and common spotted orchids now emerging on our local chalk downland and uploaded some - also a couple of plants I couldn't place and think could be pyramidal/common spotted hybrids - I'd be interested to know what the verdict is.

Posted

• Rich_Mielcarek by Rich_Mielcarek

Pyramidal x Common Spotted would probably be a first! Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyway on this website to feedback identification opinions to posters (or even for people to post unknown plants for identification)?

If not you could always try posting the photos on Birdforum (under the Trees, flowers, plants section) - there's a active 2015 UK orchids thread there.

Posted